Having dispatched two of our tougher mid-table opponents over the past few weeks ( 7 – 3 victory against Halifax 1’s and a 6 -3 Victory against Sheffield Hallam 3’s). The first team squad were home against bottom of the league Grimsby. However, due to a draw against them a few seasons ago which caused much upset we were aware they were a bogey team. After a strong warm up and some ever wise words from Ben, we were ready to go.

A strong start saw Jamesy open the scoring for Adel within the first minute or two of the game. Initially, this gave the impression that it would be quite a nice relaxing game, however a swift break by a pacey opponent and a cross into the D somehow making its way to one of their strikers it was shortly 1-1.

Due to no one knowing who scored or in what order (aside from the opening goal) after some strong play in attack and defence, we ended the first half at 3-1. Scorers over the game are disputed, the match card has it as Phil *3, Sam *2, Watto, Bally and Purdy, however it would seem someone has claimed an extra goal as Jamesy did open the scoring. Either way, a combination of goals led to us being 3-1 up at half time.

After some appropriate comments on the home team’s performance level, we started the second half strongly without scoring a goal. Following a hit and hope from the opposition and a mis-judged shout of “leave” the opposition striker nicked a ball in the D which went in the goal. 3-2.

Thankfully our heads didn’t drop and in the last 5 minutes of the game we suitably crushed the opposition with 3 or 4 quick-fire goals, leading to the opposition striker resorting to time-wasting in our corner of the pitch, to avoid conceding an extra goal… However with one final break, in the dying seconds of the game, the ball fell to none other than Phil Bayford, having already scored 3, I was felt his scoring boots should have been very much on. Phil found himself at the back post, with an empty net to shoot into. Ever the showman, he waited for the defender and goalkeeper to get back into position, before shooting and inevitably missing, causing much hilarity, before the final whistle was blown seconds later.

Despite some halfhearted calls to remind every one of just how rubbish Phil’s miss was, he did get a hat-trick and people were happy to gloss over this in favour of a pretty shambolic keeping and Dotd rightfully went to Berry for stepping over the ball (potentially through the legs as well). Motm went to Tino for some ever brilliant tackling and defensive work, far overshadowing anything our forward line could come up with.

Special mention does have to go to Jimmy Mayhew who apparently broke his hand in the first 5 minutes but still managed to play for the rest of the game after a 10 minute rest and a cry on Paul Lewis’s shoulder. Next week sees us away to Sheffield Bankers where we hope to continue our winning streak and hope for a clean sheet to re-claim our perch back at the top of the table.

Categories: Match Reports