The 3s travelled to Scarborough in high spirits and with a realistic sense of optimism. Considering the 9-1 reverse score line and a couple of key players missing this shows just how far we have come as a team this season.

Following a 6-1 win on Saturday they started the game brightly. The press was set high and the front line worked well forcing the Scarborough back line to sit deep and keep possession well in their own half. Paddy and Paul stewarded the midfield well and both sides created but failed to take chances in the first 20 minutes with Sholto making some good saves and commanding his D well.

Scarborough were first to strike with a slick move and well taken finish easing some of the nerves of their considerable spectators. Adel battled hard and were unlucky to concede a second shortly after as the defence were turned over looking to transition the ball up the pitch.

Having won their previous 16 and a goal difference of 100+ Scarborough were hoping that this was game over. However, the 3s remained calm and strung together some great hockey and put together the move of the match. Working hard down the right hand side the ball was moved quickly from defence to attack where Horsey showed wide picked the ball up and fired an accurate ball in to Beale to get in front of the centre back and keeper to deflect home. 2-1. Adel continued to pressure and had Scarborough on the back foot going into half time, and should have been level but for their keeper making a good triple save as horsey twice tried to power home and with Beale hitting the rebound volley straight at him.

Inspired by coach Sammy at half time we aimed to start well. We didn’t. Such was the effort of all no individual errors will be called out here but 3-1 and Scarborough again thought the game was done.

More good hockey ensued with Jackson taking keen to the next level putting together about 6 D to D sprints. If only he was as good as he is keen! To be fair he even played a 50 yard fizzed pass that wouldn’t have looked out of place in our 1s team.

Paddy, Charlie, Iain and Simon kept the legs going all game and Kieran was a rock at the back. Scarborough added a 4th with 15 minutes to go but still Adel didn’t switch off and were able to pull it back to 4-2 with an inspired change of routine called from Fozzy’s inventive injection forcing Beale to slip to Powley who rounded 2 defenders before bobbling it over the line. Just hard enough to mean Jackson couldn’t steal it, he tried very hard. Miles Buller take note.

The final 10 minutes had Adel camped around the Scarborough D and they went in to full on panic mode shelling the ball off the sidelines and parking the bus. They managed to see it out to the end which means they win the league with a 100% record with plenty of Feb and March to go.

Brilliant effort from all the lads. Thanks for those who made the trip.

MOM Kieran who was a rock at the back.

DOD Greg for betraying us to play for Wakefield O50s in the quarter final of the masters cup and losing. Shared with Luke Taylor who managed to get trapped in the netting of an unused goal on the sideline forcing a stoppage in play

Categories: Match Reports