A bright sunny day greeted the Mens 1’s who welcomed North Shields to the Church Lane Cauldron, whos undefeated streak at home extends back some 3 seasons (see resident statto Jim Robinson for correct times broken down into days, hours, minutes and seconds).

The team, fresh from their endeavors out on the town in the ‘Boro anticipated an easy game against a team, who they had taken the points with a bare 11 in the away fixture.

35 seconds into the game, a break down the right by Purdy set up with a miss hit shot was deflected in by Bally, scoring the quickest goal of the season. North Shields however did not roll over as anticipated by many and found their way back into the game with a scruffy goal.

Ben’s team could not their usual smooth passing going and despite threatening with almost every attack could not find the final connection. They did however, retake the lead when Bally broke down the left and crossed to Moorhouse waiting at the back post, however the ball never made it to him as a defender running back kicked the ball into the back of net 2-1.

Adel continued to be wasteful in front of goal with Bally missing an open goal after rounding the keeper and Purdy tripping over his feet when trying to pass it – or possibly shoot! Adel went further ahead when Harris finished off a well worked short corner and Purdy deflected in from a Harris reverse stick cross. North Shields managed to scramble another goal and Adel went into the half 4-2 up.

Stern words from the coach after the disjointed first half didn’t make much impact as the second half carried on like the first being very disjointed hockey on show. Credit must go to North Shields who continued to win the midfield battle despite the best endeavors of Hemming, Mayhew, Watkins and Stroomer. Two goals without reply for the club from the north brought the score level at 4-4 and squeaky bum time ensued – a draw or loss would end the drive for a third successive promotion.

Berry made several key saves to keep the scores level whilst the rest of the team struggled to stamp their authority on the game – as the minutes ticked down the tension and frustration grew both on the pitch and the faithful Adel supporters. Finally, an Adel attack ended up with some nice link up play between Stroomer, Ball, Purdy and Moorhouse with the latter playing a bobbling ball across the box for Watkins to tap in at the back post to take the 3 points and break the hearts of North Shields players.

A disappointing day was further compounded in the bar when defensive stalwart Gaz Maver sent a message from A&E confirming a fractured collarbone which looks set to keep him out for the rest of the season.

The weekend did get better with the news that Durham University lost their game in hand on Sunday – This result now puts promotion is now back in the Adels own destiny, wins in all 6 of the remaining games will see them promoted in second spot…watch this space

Simon Ball

Categories: Match Reports