We are fortunate this season to have a number of committed individuals who give an enormous amount of their time off the pitch in organisational or committee roles. Some of these people are up at the club 3 or 4 days a week at meetings, training with their own squad or coaching others.
At Adel we have a good track record of supporting up and coming new coaches, developing our own members who want to pursue a coaching career and overseeing our junior teams as they begin their journey in hockey. Overseeing all things coaching this season is Simon Ball, one of the few club members to have played in the EH national league during his time at Wakefield so here is a bit more about Bally from the man himself.
- Name – Simon Ball aka Bally
- Role at Adel – Ladies 1st team coach and coaching coordinator for the club as well as mens 1s forward
- What is best part of doing that role, and what is worst part– best part is seeing people develop either as players and coaches and seeing the fantastic turn out at all training sessions and everyone’s enthusiasm! Worst part – selection
- When joined Adel – 2017/18 – the undefeated season! (Ed – although he has been a regular in the bar through his friendship with many members prior to that!)
- Best ever moment in an Adel shirt – helping the 1’s go 22 games unbeaten to win return to the north league!
- Trophies won at Adel (and elsewhere for hockey related activity) – Yorkshire Premier Champions and Yorkshire Preseason cup 2017/18 , Yorkshire champions trophy (Wakefield and Harrogate), Northern Premier champions (Wakefield),
- Previous clubs played for – Wakefield, Harrogate, Bradford University, Boston Spa,
- Away from Adel whats the day job – Physiotherapist
- What do you like best at Adel as a club – I like the friendly, family and inclusive atmosphere
- What would you like to see the club do to develop further – Have both men’s and women’s first teams in North 1 or north Premier divisions, build a second pitch at Adel, increase the number of club players coaching, umpiring and volunteering throughout the club
- Best player you ever played with and against – Best player I’ve played with is Oliver Stoddart who I played with at both Harrogate and Wakefield. Best player I’ve played against is probably Phil Roper (current GB and England Captain) or Ali Ghanzafar (former Pakistan international)
- If you had a dream dinner party, which three other club members would you invite – Phil Bayford, Ellie Pritchard and Sam Jackson (Ed – I think this needs further explanation at some stage)
- Best ever Adel social you have attended – not quite a social but the England Hockey Awards when Jimmy got called a sore loser by Simon Mason and retaliated by calling him a dickhead
- Tour nickname and why – Goggle-eyes – after 4 pints I’m pissed and my eyes go!
- How and why did you get into hockey – My Dad has always umpires and I decided to take up playing after hitting balls around on the sideline!
- Anything else! #ATID