Lincoln 1st XI 1:3 Leeds Adel 1st XI

Part 4 of 4: Now we play the waiting game

Following on from the disappointing result away at Grimsby the Oranje took to their second long away trip in successive weeks against mid-table side Lincoln. The Adel outfit were looking to avenge their costly defeat earlier in the season in addition to wanting to finish on a high.

Mayhew had organised the side aboard the so-called Banter Bus, however by the time they had met Player-Coach Walker in Lincoln there was only frustrated faces that disembarked the bus following the persistent chanting about Wolverhampton Wanderers’ no. 12.

The match started in an end-to-end fashion, the Adel side committing men forward in order to find the opener. Watkins and Purdy gave penetration going forward, but that left the resilient trio of Hardaker, Brazier and Hill exposed at times. Both sides had ample of opportunities, neither could find the finishing touch.

Lincoln felt aggrieved not to have been awarded an early flick following a neatly timed challenge from Player-Coach Walker, maybe the bar maid’s dog would eventually listen to the Lincoln forward’s appeals. It was however the away side who took the lead from a penalty corner. The no.1 runner was out quick which forced the Solihull Xavi and Purdy to link up before the latter cooly slotted his first of the afternoon.

The aerial attack from Lincoln was the only option to clear their lines, however they were unable to breach the Adel 23m which held firm. Following an attack down the right hand side where Captain Butterworth weaved through the Lincoln defence he found Purdy who again showed the composure to find the back of the Lincoln goal just before the end of the half.

During the half-time encouragement was put forward, whilst concentration was required to see out the game. The second half was a polar opposite to the first, a flurry of cards were shown following a stark warning from the umpires. Two apiece for hands on the back, and one for Hemming who is still bemused that he was shown the yellow card.

Adel who were down to 9 players at one point remained organised to nullify any forward threat from Lincoln, it was left to Butterworth to clear the lines on one occasion who rather than rolling it in to the corner decided just to smash the ball down the other end, only missing the cry of ‘AVE IT!

As the team were restored to full strength Lincoln got the penalty flick that they had wanted as Hill blocked the initial shot with his body and was dispatched by the Lincoln player despite a touch from Walker. From this point the chances began to add up, Norman and Watkins left to look skywards following simple opportunities put wide, whilst it was left for the Pasta Magnate to round off his day with a simple finish that the young Lincoln GK won’t want to see happen again.

The win for Adel leaves them in second place, however a win for Harrogate next week will see them miss out on promotion and left to rue a few poor results at the start of the season.

Thanks to the officials and the Ultras who support us home and away.