Following a comfortable 7-0 victory on Saturday away at rivals Chapeltown, the Adel ladies’ enjoyed the extra hour in bed which inevitably comes with the end of British Summer Time as Newcastle made the journey down the A1. Whilst this was a competition debut for Adel, their opposition by contrast celebrated victory in this competition at Lee Valley last season. The cup holders, like Adel hold a 100% record in their respective North Div 2 league.

For the first time this season, the squad would need to call up some additional help due to availability. Shields, Steele and McEwan making their 1st team debuts, and it would be one to remember.

The game started at a blistering pace, both teams quickly shaking off the aches and pains of Saturday’s fixtures. As Straughan, Gibson, Jeavons and Steele transferred the ball quickly around the back, they were kept pace by the Newcastle press, the midfield trio of Goacher, A.Blyth and Hesselwood, working hard in these early exchanges to carry the ball forward to the front line. It would however be Newcastle who would make the early breakthrough. A short corner finished off, following a scramble in front of goal.

Adel slowly began to take control, and Adel started to make territorial gains across the pitch. McEwan, Smith, Shields and K.Blyth starting to find space on the wings, whilst maintaining their defensive duties. Having struggled at times to score goals on Saturday, Adel quickly responded with three goals. Hesselwood converting a penalty stroke following a foul on the line. Wood scoring from an almost impossible position, beating three players and the keeper from the base line. Hesselwood adding her second with a slap strike, well placed past the stranded keeper.

As the half time whistle blew, both teams glad for the short interval in the October sun.

The second half would be a lot more tense. Newcastle would venture forward looking to come back into the game, Adel at times nervous to capitalise on the open spaces on the break. Whilst the Adel defence would push back a lot of forward chances for Newcastle, McCall was alert to the danger, her numerous saves, confidence and control allowed nerves to settle. Adel themselves going forward not gaining too many chances, but holding possession high up the pitch.

This comfort would not last the half, Newcastle finally breaching the goal once again, adding their second in open play. The last five minutes of this tie were going to be very nervous. Adel defending numerous short corners and a few flying tackles intensified the pressure. Much to the relief of the players and the helpless coach and spectators, the final whistle blew and Adel knew they would be in the round two draw.

Many thanks to the numerous spectators who made the journey to Wakefield, the support always greatly appreciated but very much needed on Sunday, the two umpires who helped to create a competitive and energetic match and finally Newcastle, who we wish well for the rest of the season.

Adel now face an away trip to Crewe in round two 22nd November. Before that though, 4 more league fixtures to navigate. the visit of Sheffield Bankers on Saturday the immediate focus.


MOM- Millie Jeavons- An integral defensive player, stepped into a central position for the weekend and more than performed with a strong and mature display (like a cheese!)

DOD- Woody- Late! Standard




Categories: frontpage