After last weeks first win of the campaign against Thirsk, Adel were taking no chances away to Bingley Bees who had come back down into Div 2 from Div 1. Being another one of those stubborn teams, Adel decided to set out their stall – and go out with a ‘go hard, or go home’ approach..

Straight after the Bingley pushback, the ball was intercepted by Vicky, who tapped the ball up towards Gabby on the wing, who drove down the to get a pass off against the line of goal – only for Annabel to run in for a tap in. One minute in, and 1-0 to Adel. After a large wake up call, Bingley decided to get set up early, and attack and break as quickly as they could. Adel responded well to this, and carried on pushing and setting the press – with everyone doing well to stay in their own positions. After dominating much of the first twenty five minutes, Bingley managed to get a quick break and a ball pushed up to a high centre forward – this left the score 1-1.

Adel used this as their wake up call, reset themselves and came out straightaway from the pushback. With all the girls working collectively as a team, this led to a ball from Lilly and Vicky up to Georgie – who waited until the ball came over the line of the D to shoot and score. Half time came – 2-1.

After a quick half time turnaround and pep talk – Adel started the second not as ideally as we’d started the game originally…   Within five minutes of the second half, Bingley had already been given two short corners and a shot on goal. Thankfully the “Adel cleaning service” was out in force to mop up those uncomfortable moments. The team then stepped up, and the formation worked perfectly given all the communication throughout the team to each player from then. Adel kept pushing and breaking – which meant much of play was within the Adel attacking D… Given the coaching that Katy B has kindly been giving in regards to rebounds from the keepers – the girls in the D worked together to make sure that the ball ended up in the back of the goal – and a calm and collected pick from Annabel round the keeper made it 3-1.

With ten minutes to go Bingley carried on testing Adel, and carried on making play, and pushing harder. The girls trying to work hard together, unfortunately couldn’t break down Bingley pushing – and with a slight dip in concentration, Bingley scored to make it 3-2. With everything still to play for, Adel woke up – and used Jane and Lilly along with wings with help from the defence of Emily, Lucy, Katie and Rachel. Everyone carried on those last few moments of working to the maximum (down to the fitness training!) where Bingley became tired – Georgie managed to get round the defence to score her second of the game – for it to end 4-2.

All the girls played collectively very well as a team. Charlie made some brilliant saves. Teamwork was the key in seeing off the game, and enabling a positive end result for the second week in a row. Many thanks to Jim for umpiring, as well as to Bingley for making sure they found another pitch with no problems also.

Next week sees it all start over again with a home game Vs Wakefield Wanderers, but Adel are 100% ready for the challenge.

DOD – goes to Annabel for injuring herself in the warm up before the game, bleeding all over herself and potentially tripping up Jane in the process.

MOM – goes to Georgie for a great first performance – and two great goals

Categories: frontpage